I know this has NOTHING to do with our usual repertoire of weddings, anniversaries, French travel and Harry Potter fandom. But tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and this is my FAVORITE thing to contribute to Matt’s family feast! I’m not gifted in the culinary department at all. So when I found this recipe on Emeril four years ago and tried it out, I knew it was a keeper- easy, low-key, and delicious. I’ve done some tweaking to make it more how Matt & like it, but the basic jist is still the same!
You can easily make this on a stovetop instead of in a crockpot! Just set the heat on low-medium :).
Here’s what you need!
1. Pour the apple cider into the crock pot and turn it on high. Add the brown sugar and sliced oranges.
2. For the spices, you can either stud the apple with the whole cloves and add the loose nutmeg + allspice directly into the crockpot…
OR put the cloves, allspice & nutmeg into a loose tea filter (MUCH easier for cleanup). Tie the loose tea filter with baker’s twine or string! If you choose the loose tea filter option, just make sure to piece the skin of the apple before adding it to the crock pot!
3. Bring to a simmer. This will take forever (like, two hours).
4. Once it’s simmering, wait another 10 minutes, then either remove from the heat or turn the crockpot to “warm” if you plan to serve immediately. Remove the apple, orange slices & spice packet.
5. Pour into an adorable Anthro mug and enjoy! Add a splash of rum & cinnamon sticks if you so desire, but I love it without the spirits!
This’ll make you a Thanksgiving or Christmas hero. Gua.ran.teed.